HOUSES SINCE INCEPTION To begin with, the school was organized in Platoons (with average strength of 30-35 persons). The competitions too were held as Inter-Platoon.Once sufficient numbers of cadets were admitted in the school over a period of few years, the school was re-organised in two Houses, namely ‘Chetwode’ & ‘Jacob’, in the name of then British Commanders-in-Chief. Each house had strength of 100 boys divided into three Platoons; the platoons were further divided into four sections commanded by a senior cadet. Both the houses had their own messes.
JACOB/SUBHASH HOUSE: Named after British Commander in Chief Gen Claud William Jacob, who was in office at the time of founding of the school in 1930. Gen Claud William Jacob was born on 21 Nov 1863, at Mahidpur in the Bombay Presidency. He was commissioned into the Worcestershire Regiment on 9 Sep 1882. On 16 Dec 1884, stationed at Quetta, he secured his transfer from the Worcestershire Regiment to the Indian service. He was selected to command the Zhob Levy Corps, which kept the peace in the North-West Frontier Province along the Waziristan and Southern Afghanistan border.
CHETWODE /ASHOK HOUSE: The second house was Chetwode House, named after Gen Jacob’s successors, Field MarshalPhilipWalhouseChetwode, GCB, OM, GCSI, KCMG, DSO (21 Sept 1869 – 6 July 1950) who was in office in 1934.
In 1969, Chetwode house was re-designated as Ashok House driven by great Indian Emperor ‘Ashoka the Great’,the grandson of Chandragupta Maurya, the founder of Mauryan Dynasty, who was an outstanding fighter since childhood and received royal military training.
PRATAP HOUSE : Maharana Pratap was born in 1540 in Kumbhalgarh, Rajasthan and became Maha Rana Pratap Singh I, 54th ruler of Mewar in the line of the Sisodiya Rajputs in 1572. His old fort at Chittor, which was captured by the Moghuls always beckoned to him.
PRITHVIRAJ HOUSE : Prithviraj Chauhan, also known as Rai Pithora, was born as son of Someshwar Chauhan the King of Ajmer, in 1149 and grew up to be an intelligent and courageous young man. He became well-versed in a number of subjects, including history, mathematics, medicine, military, painting, philosophy and theology and mastered six languages. He was particularly proficient in archery. The house has most befittingly chosen his Bow and Arrow as their logo. Impressed by his capabilities, his maternal grandfather, Arkpal or AnangpalIII of the Tomara dynasty, named him as his heir. Prithvirajruled from the twin capitals of Ajmer and Delhi. He set out on several campaigns to expand his territories and became well-known as a valiant and courageous warrior. He also led a military campaign against the Gahadvalas of Kannauj for control over Delhi and the upper Ganga doab.
Dawn of a new era…From Barracks to Modern Hostels… Manekshaw Block: A new house by the name of Manekshaw House was added in the year 2008 to cater for strength of 80 cadets. Initially, the senior classes were lodged there but it is now being used as a Holding House for the new entrants in Class VI.Holding House/ Manekshaw House (Building No P - 100). It was always a huge challenge for the school and the MES to maintain the vintage barracks and keep them habitable. Despite repeated ordinary and special repairs, these barracks continued to be in a tattered state and an eye sore. Hence the need to provide modern hostel blocks to the cadets. Work for construction of modern hostel accommodation to replace the vintage barracks commenced with the laying of the foundation stone of a hostel complex for 75 cadets in Nov 2005, during the Platinum Jubilee celebrations. Construction continued through 2006-07 and the building was taken over in Nov 2008. Hostel has 39 rooms for Cadets, a Common Study Room, a Recreation Room and a room for the Hostel Superintendent. It was christened Manekshaw House after Field Marshal Sam Hormusji Framji Jamshedji Manekshaw, MC (03 April 1914 – 27 Jun 2008), popularly known as Sam Bahadur (“Sam the Brave”) who was the Chief of the Army Staff of the Indian Army during the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971, and the first Indian Army Officer to be promoted to the rank of Field Marshal. His military career spanned four decades and five wars, beginning with service in the British Indian Army in Work War II. The hostel was initially occupied by Class 11th and 12th cadets and is now being used to accommodate the new entrants of Class 6th, as a Holding House.
Modern Hostel for 200 Cadets It took 10 years from construction of Manekshaw Housein 2008 for the second modern hostel to come up. Since no other suitable central location to site the new hostels was available, Barracks 1, 2 and 3 had to be demolished to make space for the new hostel. The hostel designed by Mr. Ajay & Mr Pratik Agarwal and constructed by Contractor M/S Krishan Gopal Agarwal with Mr RK Tripathi, IDSE, CWE Bhopal Zone as Engineer in charge. The project was executed under command and supervision of Brig MM Mishra, CEBhopal Zone, who is a Belgaum Georgian and CWE Mr N Nageswara Rao, IDSE, SE.Through concerted efforts of MES, Principal, Adm Offr and alumni, the construction was completed on 04 Jan 2018. The School was privileged through the efforts of Executive Patron, Lt Gen Sumer Singh, to have Gen Bipin Rawat, UYSM, AVSM, YSM, SM, VSM, ADC, COAS to inaugurate the same on 04 Feb 2018. The hostel has been named “Cariappa Hostel”after Field Marshal Kodendera “Kipper” Madappa Cariappa, OBE (28 Jan 1899 to 15 May 1993) who led Indian forces on the Western Front during the Indo-Pakistani War of 1947-48 and was appointed the first Indian Commander-in-Chief (C-in-C) of the Indian Army in 1949. Heis the second Army officer after Field Marshal Sam Manekshawto hold the five-star rank of Field Marshal.COAS was magnanimous to have the youngest cadet to cut the ribbon to inaugurate the new hostel. The hostel is a double storied building in Rajasthani architecture with total area of 3489.12 square metres and can accommodate 200 Cadets. There are four Appointment Rooms, 96 rooms for Cadets, three Common Study Rooms, a Recreation Room, a Box Room and two rooms for Hostel Superintendents. The various ancillaries such as four Water Coolers, 101 Desert Coolers, curtains in each room, partition and hooks in each almirah, hooks for mosquito nets etc. have been provided under school arrangements. Grass lawns have been developed in the open air quadrangle and corridors have been decorated with motivation boards. The block is presently occupied by 200 cadets of Classes IX, X, XI, XII and appointments from different houses. The new hostel marks a quantum leap for cadets in their habitat and quality of life. The school needs another similar hostel building for 175 cadets to cater for projected strength of 450 cadets.