Rashtriya Military School, Ajmer with its panoramic view of surrounding hills, spread over nearly 87 acres at a prime location was founded on 15 november 1930 as King George's Royal Indian Military School to take care of the education of the sons of defence personnel. The period 1930 to 1932 was witness to the three Round Table Conferences, wherein two aspects of the Georgian's history were decided. First, it was decided to establish Indian Military Academy at Dehradun, on the lines of the Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst, and second, to establish quality schools for wards of Indian VCOs and soldiers, in the form of King George's Royal Indian Military Schools. The first two such schools were already functioning at Jhelum, now in Pakistan and Jullundur.
Founder Commandant of KGRIMC, AJMER- Capt WL CLARKE, MBE from Royal Corps of Masters of the British Army.
Indianisation of the Indian Army in terms of indigenous officers, had already commenced early in 20th Century. With the decision to establish the Indian Military Academy at Dehradun, a further impetus was obtained.The King George's Royal Indian Military Schools figured here as the suitable material for the officers’ cadre.Meanwhile, the Skeen Committee Report suggested improved standards of the teaching of English language. Towards this effect, British teachers were made available to the schools.Capt WLClarke was transferred from KGRIMC JHELUM (Now in Pakistan) in August 1930 to AJMER.
On 15 November 1930, first student with Roll No 1 Anwar Ali Khan s/o Shri Nawab Ali Khan joined the school in class MR at the age of 12 years.
In 1952, the school was reorganized on Public School lines and admissions were made open to the sons of defence service officers and civilians. In 1954, this school became member of the Indian Public Schools Conference (IPSC) and continues to be an active member till date. The school was renamed as Military School in 1966 and its old motto, 'Play The Game' was replaced with "Sheelam Param Bhushanam" i.e. "Character is the Highest Virtue." On 25th june 2007 the school got its present name "Rashtriya Military School, Ajmer."
There are four more Rashtriya Military Schools located at Chail (Shimla hills), Dholpur (Raj.), Bangalore and Belgaum (Karnataka) having commonality of aims and objectives.